Gus T. Canales Lectureship on Prescribed Burning
January 3-6, 2012
$500 - Covers materials, equipment, refreshments and lunches.
Caesar Kleberg Wildlife Center
Texas A&M University-Kingsville Campus
This lectureship is designed to teach the participants the safe use of fire as a rangeland and wildlife habitat management tool. It provides the formal training necessary to qualify the participant as a Certified Prescribed Burn Manager in the state of Texas.
• Apply principles learned in classroom training in a hands-on prescribed burn.
• Understand weather factors as they affect prescribed fire.
• Develop a burn plan.
• Identify the various techniques of prescribed burning.
• Discuss fire behavior and how to control a fire.
• Recognize the effects of fire on various vegetation types.
• Understand the legal requirements for prescribed burning.
• Become familiar with safety equipment and tools needed for prescribed burning.
Dr. Lynn Drawe, CPRM, CWB
Dr. Wayne Hanselka
Dr. Allen Rasmussen, Dean, Dick and Mary Lewis Kleberg College of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Human Sciences.